Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing -TradeFocus
Burley Garcia|Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:50:14
LOUISVILLE,Burley Garcia Ky. (AP) — The U.S. Justice Department and the city of Louisville have reached an agreement to reform the city’s police force after an investigation prompted by the fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor, officials said Thursday.
The consent decree, which must be approved by a judge, follows a federal investigation that found Louisville police have engaged in a pattern of violating constitutional rights and discrimination against the Black community.
Louisville Mayor Craig Greenberg said the “historic content decree” will build upon and accelerate, this transformational police reform we have already begun in Louisville.” He noted that “significant improvements” have already been implemented since Taylor’s death in March 2020. That includes a city law banning the use of “no-knock” warrants.
The Justice Department report released in March 2023 said the Louisville police department “discriminates against Black peoplein its enforcement activities,” uses excessive force and conducts searches based on invalid warrants. It also said the department violates the rights of people engaged in protests.
“This conduct harmed community members and undermined public trust in law enforcement that is essential for public safety,” said Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke, who leads the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. “This consent decree marks a new day for Louisville.”
Once the consent decree is agreed upon, a federal officer will monitor the progress made by the city.
The Justice Department under the Biden administration opened 12 civil rights investigations into law enforcement agencies, but this is the first that has reached a consent decree. The Justice Department and the city of Springfield, Massachusetts announced an agreement in 2022 but the investigation into that police department was opened under President Donald Trump’s first administration.
City officials in Memphis have taken a different approach, pushing against the need for a Justice Department consent decree to enact reforms in light of a federal investigation launched after Tyre Nichols’ killing that found Memphis officers routinely use unwarranted force and disproportionately target Black people. Memphis officials have not ruled eventually agreeing to a consent decree, but have said the city can make changes more effectively without committing to a binding pact.
It remains to be seen what will happen to attempts to reach such agreements between cities and the Justice Department once President-elect Donald Trump returns to the White House. The Justice Department under the first Trump administration curtailed the use of consent decrees, and the Republican president-elect is expected to again radically reshape the department’s priorities around civil rights.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Donald Trump’s lawyers seek to halt civil fraud trial and block ruling disrupting real estate empire
- Britney Spears' Dad Jamie Spears Hospitalized With Bacterial Infection
- September 2023 was the hottest ever by an extraordinary amount, EU weather service says
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Crocs unveils boldest shoe design yet in response to fans, just in time for 'Croctober'
- German prosecutors say witness evidence so far doesn’t suggest a far-right leader was assaulted
- Connecticut woman arrested, suspected of firing gunshots inside a police station
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Philippines protests after a Chinese coast guard ship nearly collides with a Philippine vessel
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- 18 migrants killed, and 27 injured in a bus crash in southern Mexico
- Stricter state laws are chipping away at sex education in K-12 schools
- Britney Spears' Dad Jamie Spears Hospitalized With Bacterial Infection
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- An aid group says artillery fire killed 11 and injured 90 in a Sudanese city
- Karol G honored for her philanthropy at Billboard Latin Music Awards with Spirit of Hope Award
- A modest Buddhist ceremony marks the anniversary of a day care center massacre in Thailand
Recommendation
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
An American tourist is arrested for smashing ancient Roman statues at a museum in Israel
Satellite images show Russia moved military ships after Ukrainian attacks
Lawyers say election denier and ‘MyPillow Guy’ Mike Lindell is out of money, can’t pay legal bills
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Iowa Democrats announce plan for January caucus with delayed results in attempt to keep leadoff spot
Rumer Willis Has a Message for Nasty Trolls Sending Her Hateful Comment
Dancing With the Stars' Mark Ballas and Wife BC Jean Share Miscarriage Story in Moving Song